Thursday, August 2, 2007

A view from the top of Teton Pass

I'll write more about this shortly. This demonstrates the exhilaration and exhaustion we all felt. What a ridiculous day...




And now, to parrot my good friend Bridget's tactics, I'll be excerpting part of her blog, on mine. It's partly because I so greatly respect her writing style (and sense of humor) but mostly because I'm, well, lazy. And I think she captures the "Teton Pass Day" so succinctly.


From http://bridgetbikesacrossamerica.blogspot.com.

30 bikers. 3000 feet. 5 miles. 10% grade. 5 mph. 6am. Arm Warmers. Leg Warmers. Clouds. Fog. Sweat. 55 Minutes. One Motorcycle ride. Success! Tetons what?






When we finally all got to the top a bunch of us decided we hadn't done enough exercise so we took a hike to the top of the mountain. We were 9,000 feet up but the clouds kept moving in and out so we had to rush so we could actually see once we got to the top. Rushing and hiking wasn't really in Derrick's vocab however, as he is afraid of heights. When we finally did make it to the top luck was on our side because the clouds cleared and we could see for miles. It was gorgeous.

After our hike more bikers arrived and we all decided we would wait for everyone to get to the top before we descended the mountain. Everyone arrived in their own style. Sarah by motorcycle. Brianne in tears of joy and our sweeps Tommy and Eric sprinted through our victory line. Actually making it up the pass and then watching everyone else make it up, made what we call "Teton pass day" the best day of the trip for me thus far.



Thanks Bridget!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sam,
I thoroughly enjoy your blog! It gets me through many slow afternoons sitting at my desk wishing I was out riding across the country with you all.

Give Bronwyn a hug for me and tell her I love her and I can't wait to see her!

- Bronwyn's friend, Kayla