Monday, June 11, 2007

A pain in the ass, a smile on the face.

Well, it's been two days and 89 miles, and we've reached Agawam, Massachusetts. We're staying this evening at the home of one of our leader's parents. Well, in the yard of the home of one of our leader's parents, in 6-person (aka 8-person) tents. I have far too much to say about the last two days-- the dread of approaching hills, the joy of conquering them, the 10-feet-ahead rule for absurd inclines (pick a spot, ride to it, then pick another spot and ride to that, then pick another...). I rode from Providence to Connecticut-- it's relatively amazing to say that, even though the distance isn't actually that great. I also found out that the highest point in Rhode Island is 812 feet. And that Chamois cream (butt-butter, which promotes friction-free riding in the crotchular region) is one of, if not the exclusive, best ideas ever. And that, after 42 miles of riding, I can eat a triple cheeseburger and large fries, and then 2 hours after that have a half chicken, potato salad, and 8 watermelon slices. And that an inch of Thermarest is like 8 inches of goose-down when you're beat.

Tomorrow me and Nate (a recent U. Florida grad) are riding "sweep," which means we get to bring up the rear, ensuring that no rider goes unaccounted for. It's a 67 mile day into the Appalachian mountains, so the slow pace will be a welcome respite from the last two days. There are a lotta fit people on this trip, so I've been pushed hard, and I like it. That said, Nate and I are psyched for a long, slow ride through Western Mass.

I hit 42.3 mph today. And averaged 14.4 over the course of the day. And had the juiciest pb 'n j of my life. And an apple, covered in peanut butter, covered in potato chips. Which was delectable.

Riding over the Connecticut river today, I grew intensely exhilarated, nearly to the point of tears. That doesn't happen easily. I think it was my association of the Connecticut with Brattleboro, and the knowledge that the same water had passed home earlier that day. It's such a broad, beautiful expanse, and crossing it was... perfect. My body felt right (sore and tight, but well-aligned and solidly worked), I was a few miles from our stopping point, and my belly was full of banana, apple, Vitamin Water, and peanut-butter glue. Even though it was exhilarating, I think I'm homesick. A week wasn't enough. But that will pass, I guess. I miss you guys.

More to come later, including longer posts. I'm kinda beat at the moment. Love to all.

-S

4 comments:

LemLem said...

Hey Sam,
I found your blog via facebook, and -oh my god- I'm feeling totally nostalgic for my Overland trips now. It's amazing how simplicity turns into bliss when you work your body all day... and just wait for a month from now! You'll have an amazing experience, I'm sure.

emma s c said...

today i learned how to make copies and stock the fridge. so whenever you think of that pain in your ass, think to yourself, at least i'm not stuck in an office with uncomfortable shoes on. miss you.

Emily said...

i agree with emma. i have been averaging 15-16 hours in front of my laptop a day. i have no sympathy for your ass whatsoever. live it up sam. xxx

Emily said...

also, how are you going to send me cds when you're on your bike all day eating peanut butter? hope you're getting bubbles.